Wednesday, February 5, 2014

No Sew Drop Cloth Table Runner

Wasssuppp peeps! Y'all are so sweet and encouraging when I share my life with y'all :) I feel like I get on and talk so much about problems that I'm learning from and I hope it doesn't seem to be whinny, but God teaches me so much when I just sit and write down what He's teaching me. Lets just say y'all teach me a lot too and I greatly encourage the community y'all give me! mwah!!



I feel like it's been forever since I've posted a DIY or tutorial so I'm changing things up this week! Here is a super quick and easy way for you to make your own no sew table runner!! I'm not even joking when I say super quick and easy, plus CHEEEAAAPPP :) 

I started the project off with a 9ft x 12ft canvas drop cloth, yes the kind you can buy at Lowes for $21. Just give it a quick run through the wash to soften it up, and clean it up. ( I mean you would think something new would be clean, but trust me it needs to be washed with lots of detergent!)


As you can see from above I've used my drop cloth for another project first. I will be sharing a bit on that later. So what I did was measure out the size of the table runner I wanted. Then cut a strip of drop cloth. 
I knew I didn't want to have to sew anything and that I would be painting it so once the edges where cut I started to peel away some threads to create a fringed edge. And no they are not even, yes if you are a perfectionist cut a straight line and take all the time in the world when peeling your fringe. But I am not so I just eyeballed it and that is totally fine by me! 


Then I just used masking tape to lay out a pattern. I didn't have true masking tape so I used my washi-tape and painters tape to give it some different thicknesses. Once you have your pattern all set you can now simply paint it!
I was a bit nervous about this part cause I've tried painting drop cloth before and it bleads through bad. This time I tried spray paint and it worked wonders! It took about 3 layers for me to get the color I wanted and it is still a bit washed out in spots. But once you have the color the way you like peel the tape off and WA LA you have a lovely patterned table runner :)


I like the washed out look, I think it goes well with the course-ness of the material and the frayed edges. Makes it look "antique". And yes this table runner is pretty long for my table, but it isn't meant for my table soooo hopefully it wont drag the ground for it's rightful owner :) But I do love it with my red chairs soooo I may have to make myself one too!!



Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Drop cloths are the bomb.com. I mean where else can you get 9x12 ft of fabric for $21!!?? Basically I use them for everything, table cloth, table runner, recovering furniture, papasan chair cushion, drapes, and soooo many more ideas :)
What are some of your favorite uses for drop cloth??


 photo gracie-sig_zps2d86285f.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...