Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Vintage Trunk Coffee Table Makeover

I've had this trunk since elementary school, I got it when I went to camp. Yep, I went to a camp that required a trunk not just a suit case. It was awesome!!
But we used it for years as our "dress-up" trunk at home then I took it to college and have used it as storage/coffee table ever since. I painted it brown when I left for school, just a flat brown and it still matched in our current living room. But I just wanted an update. So I felt like adding some legs would give it some great hight and help it feel more like a coffee table and fit our furniture better. And with my little baby Tepe being a white dog that sheds [boy does she shed!] the hair shows up every where and honestly I just wanted to make it a little less noticeable :)
Thats the gist behind the makeover...



I have tons of white paint laying around, well I did. Now I've used it for the studio and this I'm running low. But I didn't want to deal with spray paint, or sanding or anything. I just wanted to get this project done and watch my favorite crime solving shows all at the same time :) So I mixed up some home made chalk paint and set up in the living room with a drop cloth. 

To make the chalk paint I used: 
-3 spoonfuls of cornstarch
-1/4 cup of water
-1 3/4 cup of latex paint. 

super simply and looks great :) 
And to add the legs I got 4 short wooden legs from Lowes and 4 pronged T-nuts.


I painted the trunk with two layers. Honestly I didn't do the best job, there are plenty of little drip spots that I didn't notice. I guess thats what I get for watching TV while working :)
After the paint dried I measured and marked where I would place the holes for the legs. Then drilled out the hole just large enough to tightly fit the t-nut. I then hammered the nut in place so the prongs held on to the meat of the trunk.


Once the nuts were secured in the trunk all I had to do was screw the legs on. They aren't the most sturdy legs, so you can't really move the trunk by pulling it. But now that I like it, It shouldn't have to move often!


I really love the new trunk. 
The white just fits the room 100 times better, even though it does make the rug look a little dingy. But I knew I needed to figure out how to clean it sooner or later... I think the white just opens up the center of our little room. Doesn't seem so cluttered now :) 

Quick and easy projects are the best. I know it isn't done to last forever, but I just needed something new. Luckily this trunk is something that if I decide to take the legs off all I have to do is unscrew them! And like always I can repaint if I decide to. Do you ever just randomly decide on quick little projects that make big statements?

Be sure to check out where I linked up! Party page on side bar >>>
 photo gracie-sig_zps2d86285f.jpg

10 comments:

  1. This turned out so well! I love it. I've never heard of using corn starch to make chalk paint, so now I want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina!! I'm not really sure how well it stands against the real deal chalk paint. But I didn't have to sand and it went on great! I'm planning to put a top coat of some kind just because this is a piece I know gets a lot of rough use on the edges. But I read a previous post about this recipe and they liked it so I figured I would try it sense I had it all on hand!

      Delete
  2. I love the new look! It definitely brightens up the space! I've been wanting to try out some homemade chalk paint, so I'll have to try your recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rachel!! I don't know if the recipe is as good as the real deal chalk paint (never used it) but its working pretty fab for now :)

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! I think adding the feet was a marvelous idea! Thank so much for stopping by chapter37!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having it just a few inches above the floor makes a huge difference, i didn't think it would be so different but it really is. Thanks for coming over :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely job, Gracie!! (of course!!) Thanks for sharing at Tickled Pink Times Two,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meegan! So glad I finally had something worth sharing over at your fabulous party

      Delete
  5. Ooooh with cornstarch?! I have never heard of that recipe before - so interesting! I love how fresh and new it feels lightened up! So thrilled you shared this at Work it Wednesday this week - hope to have you back again:)
    ~Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Krista!! I really like the new white too, and adding that height really makes a difference! The little space feels SO much more open. And I found the cornstarch recipe on a few different blogs. So far it seems to be holding up pretty well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...