Not only have I made the bed every day this week but I've put away all of my fall/winter clothes, sorta unpacked my shoes (hid the boxes), refinished 2 side tables, built a lamp, and now recovered the mismatched lamp shade!
It sounds like a lot but really the cleaning and bed making was solely because I had to clean up for the photos of the new projects :)
So Wednesday I shared our bedside table makeovers. Super simple paint job but really did help in making the room feel a little more finished!
And today I not only wrote a post about the fabulous lampshade I just recovered but also wrote a guest post on how I built this custom lamp!! I'm not 100% sure when the post will be live (I'll let y'all know fo sho) but go check out Confessions of a Northern Belle and I promise her little blog will not disappoint :)
Until then here is the "tutorial" of how I fixed our mismatched lampshade.
I shared this photo in the post about the lamp so sorry if you are disappointed with the doubling up. The projects go hand in hand so I just recycled :)
The barrel shade I picked up at Lowes on clearance for $7! I should have gotten another one, but thought I would try out my recovering skills first. I don't think the shade looks bad, it just doesn't really go with the other patterns in the room.
First things first, I had to pick out what I was going to recover the shade with. I was originally planning on using the drop cloth, in fact I bought drop cloth forever ago with making a lampshade in mind but am just now using it for that. But I also found an old pillow case that I thought might look good. So I held them against the wall and the bed spread and the drop cloth won out. I liked the pillow case, but felt like that was a lot of gray between the walls, table, and shade.
Once I decided on the fabric I measured and cut. Sadly I mis measured. But instead of getting rid of the scrap I just cut another piece and tacked it in place where the short coming was.
Because the shade was an angled barrel it wasn't so much a "mis measure" but that I couldn't cover lamp the fabric and keep it taught against the shade with out some kind of odd lines. I felt this was an easy solution. And I can just put the weird seam at the back where no one sees it :)
After hot glueing the end pieces in place and making sure they were tight I started around the rim. I did the bottom of the shade first and just glued a few spots being sure to pull it tight so that there were no wrinkles.
Then when I got to the top part with the rungs I had to cut slits in the fabric in order to make it sit smoothly along the top of the shade. I then glued around the rim, again pulling tight and watching for wrinkles.
And that was it! Simple and took under 20 minutes! But once I put it back on the lamp and turned the bulb on I noticed that you can still see the pattern and the remaining fabric on the inside. This will probably end up bugging me more than I think but really no one is gonna see the lamp shade, much less when its on! It is in the bedroom and we don't have many visitors so as long as I like it thats all that matters :) And I think when the light is off it couldn't be more perfect!
So there it is! My refinished bedside table, my custom built lamp, and a recovered lampshade! Man the past few days have been productive! Now I feel like next week I can tackle the rest of the room and will be ready to reveal the boondocks bedroom tour sooner than I expected! Maybe the house will get done before the Holidays after all!! Woooo Hoo!
*I will be sure to update this posts with links once the guest post on the lamp build goes live!
**Also, don't forget if you wanna see where I link up and party go check the side bar Party tab! >>>